The Most Reverend Joseph C. Bambera, D.D., J.C.L., Bishop of Scranton, has announced that the 2013 Diocesan Annual Appeal has raised $5,601,345, surpassing the goal of $5.55 million. The Annual Appeal has received gifts and pledges from 32,612 donors. Thirty-seven parishes reached or surpassed their Annual Appeal parish goal. Gifts to the 2013 campaign represent the second highest amount raised in the history of the Appeal.
“On behalf of the Diocese of Scranton and everyone who benefits from gifts to the Diocesan Annual Appeal, I express my sincere thanks to all donors, priests, volunteers and staff who helped make this year’s Appeal a success. You responded generously to the call to ‘serve with love’ and I am deeply grateful,” said Bishop Bambera.
“I especially appreciate the commitment of our parishioners to our Diocesan fundraising efforts in addition to the wonderful support they provide to our parishes throughout the Diocese,” added Bishop Bambera. “I am inspired by the strong desire of the faithful to open their lives to the presence of God by sharing both their time and their resources to benefit others.”
Gifts to the Appeal support the following programs and ministries:
- Serving the poor and those in need through programs that provide food, shelter, clothing, counseling and hope.
- Caring for retired priests and funding the ongoing formation of priests, permanent deacons, seminarians and deacon candidates.
- Educating the next generation of servant-leaders in a spiritually sound and academically challenging environment in our Diocesan Catholic schools and in parish-based religious education programs.
- Offering faith formation programs for those preparing for marriage, youth and young adults, the deaf and persons with disabilities, people who are grieving a loss or facing other challenges.
- Spreading the Gospel message far and wide, and keeping everyone informed and connected through media such as The Catholic Light, CTV: Catholic Television, and the Diocesan website.
The Diocesan Annual Appeal team includes Diocesan staff, pastors, parish volunteers and committees and regional chairpersons throughout the 11 counties in the Diocese in northeastern and north central Pennsylvania.
This year’s regional chairs for the appeal were Rev. William J.P. Langan and James and Connie Conrad – Wayne and Pike Counties; Rev. James J. Paisley and Jack and Cece McCarthy – Luzerne County; Msgr. John Bergamo and Michael and Denise Balsama – Monroe County; Rev. Cyril D. Edwards and Ann and David Hawk – Lackawanna County; Rev. Joseph Hornick and Jorge and Gisela Falkenberg – Northern Tier; Msgr. Stephen D. McGough and Nicholas and Carol Catino – Lycoming and Tioga Counties.
“We are extremely grateful to our pastors, to our regional chairs and to the many parish volunteers who work to ensure that our fundraising efforts are successful,” said Jim Bebla, Diocesan Secretary for Development.
The following parishes have reached or surpassed their parish goal for Annual Appeal pledges:
- Ascension Parish – Forest City
- Blessed Sacrament Parish – Throop
- Corpus Christi Parish – West Pittston
- Good Shepherd Parish – Drums
- Holy Family Parish – Sugar Notch
- Holy Name of Jesus Parish – West Hazleton
- Holy Rosary Parish – Hazleton
- Immaculate Conception Parish – Scranton
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish – Dushore
- Most Precious Blood Parish – Hazleton
- Nativity of Our Lord Parish – Duryea
- Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Tunkhannock
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish – Carbondale
- Our Lady Of Mount Carmel Parish – Hunlock Creek
- Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Parish, Freeland
- Our Lady of the Snows Parish – Clarks Summit
- Our Lady of Victory Parish – Harvey’s Lake
- Resurrection Parish – Muncy
- Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish – Dupont
- SS. Cyril & Methodius Parish – Hazleton
- SS. Peter & Paul Parish – Towanda
- St. Andrew Parish – Wilkes-Barre
- St. Ann Parish – Williamsport
- St. Brigid Parish – Friendsville
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish – Swoyersville
- St. Eulalia Parish – Elmhurst
- St. Gregory Parish – Clarks Green
- St. John Bosco Parish – Conyngham
- St. Katharine Drexel Parish – Pleasant Mount
- St. Mary Parish – Waymart
- St. Monica Parish – West Wyoming
- St. Nicholas Parish – Wilkes-Barre
- St. Peter Parish – Wellsboro
- St. Peter’s Cathedral Parish – Scranton
- St. Rose Parish – Carbondale
- St. Therese Parish – Shavertown
- Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish – Dickson City